8.09.2010

jewelry mondays: david neale

as a jeweler/maker, the issue of how i relate to other people's work can get a little tricky.
i'm realizing that over the past few years, i've worked pretty much in isolation in my little studio. never really
seeking out the work of other jewelers to enlighten/inspire, but rather, almost avoiding intentionally studying other people's work for fear of ... what? being too influenced by it? feeling like my work won't measure up? feeling disheartened when i thought i had a great new idea for something, only to find that someone else has already done it better? sheer laziness?
what the hell was i thinking???
i've finally realized that a fool i've been, and in the past few weeks, have been voraciously devouring images of jewelry that i find exciting/inspiring/interesting/just plain amazing. and duh, it's led to me feeling more and more excited about my own work, and where i want to take it. it has made me want to learn more, take some new classes, and aspire to be a better maker in general.
so, in the interest of keeping this inspiration going i'm going to try and post regularly here with jewelry on mondays. the intention is to start my week off right, by taking a minute on monday mornings to share the work of some amazing jewelers that i've come across. fingers crossed that i can keep it up!
first up, david neale.









there are no words for how much i love everything this man makes.
more of his amazing work here.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Teresa! thanks- that means a lot to me!
    Regarding your comments about isolation and fear and the problem of originality; I think all makers get that. You summed it up well.
    I try to think of originality in terms of singers.
    Though different singers might sing the exact same song, each has a voice that is distinctive and unique.
    So- even in jewelry-making, I try to strengthen my 'voice'- even if the ideas are familiar.
    I dont know!-does that sound useful?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks david! your analogy is perfect. and i think totally sums up the way i've begun to think about things. so much magic out there. and taking it all in only serves to make one's viewpoint stronger/better. hooray for all of the beautiful things that people make!

    ReplyDelete